The City of Sacramento would like to welcome you to its business community. If you need any assistance with the application process, you may contact Revenue Services at (916) 808-8500 or contact us electronically.
- Business tax is levied on all businesses engaged in business in the City of Sacramento, even those without a physical presence within the City limits, and is paid annually.
- The business start date is the first date your business started operating in the City of Sacramento.
- Home Businesses within Sacramento City Limits are required to submit a Home Occupation Permit Application and will be submitted automatically if you apply online.
- Sole owners are required to provide Social Security number, California Drivers License or California Identificaton Card number. LLC, Partnership, Corporations are required to provide a Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN) for the business.
- No payment will be required until your application has been reviewed and accepted. You will receive an email verifying the receipt of application. Within 5 business days you will receive another email containing the amount due and instructions on how to make payment online.
- Once we receive the payment, your business application will be routed to the Community Development Department to ensure that the business will be conducted in an appropriately zoned location.
- After your business receives zoning approval, you will be mailed a business operations tax certificate.
- Do you need a Special Business Permit? Please check our Special Business Permit page to see if a permit is required for your business. You can find the different permit types here.
Review the information below and be sure to fill out and submit any required documents before applying.
Assembly Bill 3002 went into effect on January 1, 2019, which provides information regarding disability access requirements and resources to business owners. Read this notice on the DSA website.
Per AB 2184, you may protect your residential address by providing a different Service of Process address in accordance with Sections 16000.1(a)(2) and 16100.1(a)(2) of the Business and Professions Code. To do so, please Apply in person - you may not apply online.
In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) of 1990, the Fair Employment & Housing Act (“FEHA”), the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended), Government Code section 11135 and other applicable codes, the City of Sacramento (“City”) will not discriminate against individuals on the basis of disability in the City’s services, programs, or activities.